Thursday, October 15, 2009

All in the Family

My husband's grandmother recently moved into a retirement home. She lived in her home for more than 60 years and has been collecting treasures along the way. As we were helping her pack up her stuff and decide what to take, what to sell, what to donate and what to disperse we came across many of these items ... things that she had been saving for family members who would love her treasures as much as she has.

One of these pieces is an inkwell that she had been saving for Luca. Wrapped inside was a handwritten note, yellowed and creased by the years, "This was a presentation inkwell to Uncle Alick Hiut, Permanent Secretary to the Admiralty, on his retirement. It is a reproduction of Nelson's inkwell."

As it turns out, Luca had little interest. But as a Calligrapher, I was so excited - and absolutely over the moon when Peggy gave it to me. Now it graces my desk and I work with it everyday. And I know Peggy is thrilled to know it is completely treasured.
Now I just need to find out who Nelson is! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails